I'm just stopping in for a quick post tonight since the clock is tick-tick-ticking! Lawnscaping is having a design team challenge and I just had to participate! Lawn Fawn is one of my very favorite stamp companies and the Lawnscaping Challenge Blog was one of the main reasons I started this blog last October. I think I've participated in just about every challenge since I started blogging and to become a member of their DT would be uh-mazing!! The DT is full of talented ladies, and it would be double uh-mazing to be a part of the team :)
I've been trying to think of a card to make since the DT challenge announcement, but have hardly had a chance to think of anything other than moving. All of our stuff is *hopefully* safely on it's way to Hawaii and today has been the first day I've been able to breath a little. We're staying with family for about a week before our flight leaves next week. BUT, I made sure to pack the essentials in my suitcase:
I made a fun underwater themed shaker card! I used Critters in the Sea for the main part of this card as well as the banner from Home Sweet Home, Quinn's ABC dies, and Sally's ABC's. I started by making an underwater background with distress paints. I just bought a few, so I'm still figuring out how to use them, but creating this background was super easy albeit a little messy ;) I then adhered my pieces together and that was it! I was going to do a photo tutorial on shaker cards with this, but I'm a little pressed for time-- but I promise to share one soon if anyone's interested. I will add 2 helpful tips, however:
1. Shaker cards are best as one layer cards (i.e. a background and images on one piece of cardstock). Otherwise, the glitter gets stuck on the images and can look a bit messy. Since mine wasn't a one layer card, I made the following sandwich from front to back: acetate, fussy-cut images, a second piece of acetate, the foam circle with glitter on the inside, and then the back panel. This ensured that my fish and turtle were sandwiched between 2 layers of acetate and had no contact with the glitter.
2. Use a tape-runner type adhesive. Liquid glue is great for a lot of things, but totally makes a sticky mess with this. Once the acetate gets glue on it, it smears and becomes sticky. The glitter ends up having difficulty moving freely and makes for a messy looking card. Trust me- This is version 3 of the card!
Here's a photo of all the glitter (I used blues and greens from a Martha Steward glitter pack):
And one last one:
Thanks so much for visiting today!! Good luck to everyone for the DT spot!